Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Therefore.....

8Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, 9 who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, 10and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 11 for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, 12 which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me. 13 Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 14By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.
These words move us along in this first chapter in 2 Timothy. Verse 7 reminded us that we have not been given a spirit of fear but rather we have been given a spirit of power and love and self-control. THEREFORE we should not be ashamed of the gospel. We should not be ashamed if we are made prisoners or persecuted or anything because of our faith. Rather we should know that we share in Christ's suffering, that we have been saved by Christ, that we are called with a holy calling and this is all done by the power of God. Nothing I have done influences this decision, it is all God. All I need to do is live in it.

Think about that for a moment. I know that I find immense comfort in it. Knowing that it's ALL God. It's not me at all. I so easily see my frailties and wrongs and think that I'll never get it all together as a believer and then I read these words and realize.... I DON"T HAVE TO. All I have to do is cling to my Lord and my God. That's it! Now yes, clinging is an action...it's not just a being... but it's a total dependence. That's what we need to do you know, is totally depend on God. It's all his doing. From our creation, to our salvation, to our being held to him. It's all God.

THEREFORE do not be ashamed.
THEREFORE do the job that he has called you to.
THEREFORE if you suffer, know that you are sharing in the suffering of Christ.
THEREFORE know what you believe in.

No comments: